Monday, August 2, 2010

Eastern Trekker Part 2

(Part 2 was written on the 11 hour train ride to Bled Slovenia)

Arriving in Budapest in the mid afternoon we had maybe an two hours to waste before we had to be ready for dinner and our boat trip along the river. Dinner was at a small restaurant the served some traditional Hungarian fair and although I opted for the vegetarian options it was still quite nice. Everyone was still feeling a bit tired and under the weather but we headed down to the river for our little boat cruise and after a little fresh air and some loud music everyone was in a much better mood. It was stunning to see Budapest lit up at night, all the buildings with the shadows dancing. It was the best way to see the city I think and unfortunately the only way that I saw most of it.

I was supposed to leave the group after our two days in Budapest but I was having such a good time with everyone that I made a last minute decision to request to stay with the group all the way to Split. I am extremely glad that I went with everyone but am a little sad I did not get to spend much time at all in the city. Hopefully, if I have time I can return on this trip and if not it will be included in the next one.

The morning we left Budapest I suffered from a small heart attack because I could not find my passport which I keep with me at all times unless we were going out for a big night in which case I lock it up at the hostel. I must have been packing and slipped it into the back pocket of my jeans temporarily until I could stick it in my shoulder bag. After ripping apart everything and nearly bursting into tears I found it and hurried to the bus that was waiting with everyone on it already. Only a slightly embarrassing/stressful moment.

We crossed the border into Croatia and for the first time in a month I was no longer in the EU. Our night was spent at a national park called Plitvice which is the home of some beautiful lakes, streams and waterfalls though we did not walk around the national park until the next day. Our night was spent at a campsite in cabins just outside the park. I wish I could have put up my tent and enjoyed a single night on my own but it was already booked the way it was. Because we were not in a place that was near and easy to access city, it was tradition to have a big bbq that night, our last big family dinner. We all had a blast and were eventually kicked out of the open area so the part moved to the bus. We were eventually tossed out of the bus as well because it was still too noisy so many headed down to the lake closest to the campsite. When we came back we were unfortunately met by the local Croatian Policemen and told to disperse or we would be kicked off the campsite. A fun night all around.

Our next day we spent 4 hours walking around the trails in the Plitvice park, taking pictures, retelling our stories from the week and relating what the plans were for the future. It was not the best weather, a low cast of fog hung around and it even drizzled a bit but even with that dampness it was worth the trip out there, the scenes are mor beautiful than any I have seen so far on my trip.

The night in Split was relaxed, we all went our separate ways for dinner as there are only small places to eat and with all the boats for the Croatia Sail trips docking that afternoon there were an excessive number of people in a town that is probably the same size of Tsawwassen. Do not be deceived by the maps on google my friends, google lies. They make this place look like a large port town but in reality you can walk across the centre in about 10 minutes if you are going slow.

We all met up at a pub that night after our dinners to say a final goodbye and good luck on everyone's journeys. Slowly everyone peeled away and went to bed a little earlier than we had all week, exhaustion had hit everyone. Some people were flying home, some were picking up on with the ships the next day, some were heading down to Dubrovnik and some, like me, had no plans passed that point. I was able to find accommodation for the next night but had no idea what was to happen as I was not supposed to be in Split so soon and I could not spend a week there waiting for my boat trip the next week. But sometimes it is ok not to have a plan, it leaves you able to have some spur of the moment fun. Right now I am on a train headed to Slovenia to visit Bled Lake on the advice of several people. I had not planned in any way to be going here on my trip and although it is a long trip there and back again I am making the most of it, enjoying the rolling hills and crumbling buildings along the way. I will be there for a couple of days probably then I am not sure what next, maybe back to Zagreb or Ljubljana.

For the next two days relaxing at a beautiful Slovenian lake is going to give this traveler the energy to continue on for another two months as right now my reserves are limited and going home to a bed of my own is beyond tempting. However, considering how quickly this month has already gone I am sure that in what will feel like and instant I will be at home in bed dreaming of being back here. So for today I will continue living the dream.
Eastern Trekker Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment