Paris
My arrival in Paris was to what can only be described as a melting heat wave. All of Paris is and was suffering. My roommates and myself had prepared for it to be slightly chillier in this city, bringing along some jeans and a sweater. However, at 35 and 33 degrees the last two days it was necessary packing, although for me it will for sure become needed when I get to Oslo in October.
The first day I arrived at Gare du Nord and realized that the ticket machines do not take my type of mastercard so I waited for ages in line for the tellers, constantly being harassed by Spanish teens who were trying to beg money for their brother with leukemia. It would have been more convincing of an act had their not been about 10 of them and all of approximately the same age. Plus, the moment the metro authorities came down the stairs they scattered quickly and efficiently into the metro system.
Finding my hostel was a bit of an adventure, I walked right past the street I was supposed to turn on and ended up hiking up a rather drastic hill to the very top before I stopped to ask one of the locals where the street was. After getting some much appreciated directions I walked all the way back down the hill to find that the hostel was only maybe 100m from the metro stop I had exited about 30mins earlier.
I met one of my roomates, a fellow name Philip from Minnesota that just finished his degrees in french language studies and political science. I have met a number of Americans here an they all seem to have poly-sci majors so I finally asked one of them what the deal was down there, if everyone just aspired to be El Presidente. It was explained to me that Poly-sci is their equivalent of a Bachelor of Arts degree. And here I thought I was surrounded by so many ambitious future politicians of America. Disappointment.
My other two roomies are two ladies from Sherbrooke, QC. We bonded over our Canadian-ness and then the second day after Philip had left, we bonded over our disapproval of the American that talked in his sleep.
My first night I was still lacking in a bit of energy as I am not sure I have fully adjusted to this time difference. I am not hungry in the day time only thirsty, constantly and my sleep is fitful. Part of that is related to the heat I am sure. However, I took out a map of Paris, figured out where the Tower was and headed down to see if I could find it.
The metro system is similar to that of London and Quebec but much more elaborate with an exhaustive number of lines that will take you everywhere. I keep checking and double checking constantly to make sure I have headed to the correct line.
The Eiffel Tower was very easy to see as soon as you leave the metro station there are seemingly endless numbers of men trying to sell you little replica towers. They get less and less expensive the farther you travel from the metro station.
I will say it is rather awe inspiring to see for the first time. Truly, all of Paris is breathtaking (so long as you keep your eyes up and not look at the dirty, garbage riddled streets). The buildings are stunning to just walk around and see. I wish I could take a running video of everything my eyes see but it is impossible. Pictures do not do it justice.
Yesterday, I spent all day walking around and eventually giving myself a tiny bit of heatstroke. I have never in my life missed the convenience of 7-11 and starbucks until there were none to be found and the only water was being sold by people on the corner in tiny little bottles for 1euro.
Despite my constant need to be buying water, the day was excellent. I started at the Arc de Triumph, walked Champs Elysee, saw Notre Dame and much much more. There will be photos to follow soon of all that I went to see.
It is funny, I do not think I experienced what really Parisians are like, as people tend to be a bit negative about them, because every last one of the people in the city were linked together in a mutual misery over the heat. No one had the energy to be negative to others as we were all suffering.
Today, a huge rainstorm came through early and by 9:00 there was thunder, lightning and nearly a flash flood down the street that our hostel is on. The morning I have spent reading and charging my computer with Frederico's converter (new roomate from Argentina that replaced the American last night) as my converter does not work in the outlets at this hostel. So as I wait out the storm, charge my precious electronics and go through my pictures from the last two days I prepare myself for going on the move again tomorrow afternoon which is when I will be heading to Brussels. I am looking forward to a smaller city where it will no be so much aggressive sight seeing. Taking some time to just sit back and enjoy the sunshine, do some people watching and work a little more on my french.
Christa - glad to get an update on your trip... sounds like it's been an adventure already! ;-) Can't wait to hear more and to see your pics - feel like I'm living an interesting life vicariously through you, so keep it up! :-)
ReplyDelete~Lydia
Just got the link to your blog, promise to be a faithful follower to your adventures.
ReplyDeleteThanks
diane
SISTER!!! I'm so glad you found yourself a bit awestruck in Paris - I KNOW!!! So cool that you have been there. Glad to hear you are taking advantage of all there is to see, but I hope you will soon be able to adjust to the time change as well. Take care and much love! Jana
ReplyDeleteHey thanks you guys! Glad to see some people are following the life and times of Christa the Nomad! I will try to keep it all updated and relatively interesting though no promises lol
ReplyDelete